High CPU load, RCPT TO:

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USHERBROOKE.CA
Thu Feb 3 19:59:14 GMT 2005

Marcel Blenkers wrote:

>Hi there,
>

>>Marcel,
>>
>>MailScanner offers IPBlock in CustomConfig.pm.  It does pretty much what
>>you want (as long as you use sendmail).  I have been using it here for
>>almost a year with success.
>>

>ok..
>
>looked at it..
>
>and wonder if i got it right:
>
>First, i should create a file called IPBlock.conf within /etc/MailScanner.
>And in this, i should put the amount of mails, this ip(block) could send
>within one hour? correct?
>
>For example:
>
>127.0.0.1       10000
>default         100
>
>then, change the MailScanner.conf with the following:
>
> Always Looked Up Last = &IPBlock
>

>then restart MailScanner and way you go..
>
>if this is the correct handling, and those entries within ipblock.conf are
>split with tab, then MailScanner would block those ips, running over those
>default value for the rest of the hour..correct?
>
>Whats your default for maximum mails an hour of one ip?
>I mean an ip, you do not know.. :)

Marcel,

I don't think you need to use tabs (spaces will do).

My default value is 500 messages/hour but I am thinking about lowering
this quite a bit.

You need one more thing for it to work: put a job in your cron.hourly
directory to clean things up.  The script can be found at the end of
CustomConfig.pm.  If you omit this script you will not permit banned IP
addresses to regain the privilege to send you mail.

Denis

--
   _
  °v°   Denis Beauchemin, analyste