OT Taking care of mail errors and dnsreport.com

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at CI.JUNEAU.AK.US
Wed Feb 2 19:43:19 GMT 2005

Dave Duffner - NWCWEB.com wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>         Just as a side note on this thread I've been
> watching... The last 2 weeks I've had very strange
> reports from both dnsreports and dnsstuff that don't
> match.  dnsreports keeps giving false errors that
> dnsstuff shows as being OK.
>
>         So this may not even be a true error being
> chased down, may want to run tests through other
> points and see if you get the same results!

I just sent a note off to postmaster at woodmaclaw.com, but then doublechecked
dnsreports.  It looks like it's backup.mywebmailserver.com that's
misconfigured, not mail.woodmaclaw.com.  All my original comments apply
still, I think, but the addresses in the mailer-table might be different
depending on his IP layout.

Dnsreport message:
-------------------
ERROR: One or more of your mailservers does not accept mail to
postmaster at woodmaclaw.com. Mailservers are required (RFC822 6.3,
RFC1123 5.2.7, and RFC2821 4.5.1) to accept mail to postmaster.
backup.mywebmailserver.com's postmaster response:
^^^^^^
>>> RCPT TO:<postmaster at woodmaclaw.com> <<< 550 5.7.1 ... we do not relay <>

S'later...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500