OT Taking care of mail errors and dnsreport.com

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at CI.JUNEAU.AK.US
Wed Feb 2 18:10:34 GMT 2005

Billy Pumphrey wrote:
> My alias file seems to be /etc/aliases and it has:
> #
> #  Aliases in this file will NOT be expanded in the header from #
> Mail, but WILL be visible over networks or from /bin/mail.
> #
> #       >>>>>>>>>>      The program "newaliases" must be run after
> #       >> NOTE >>      this file is updated for any changes to
> #       >>>>>>>>>>      show through to sendmail.
> #
>
> # Basic system aliases -- these MUST be present.
> mailer-daemon:  postmaster
> postmaster:     root

Pretty much like mine, except I have:

 postmaster:     root
 mailer-daemon:  postmaster

Don't know if the order makes any difference.

> # Person who should get root's mail
> root:           administrator at woodmaclaw.com

I don't have this.  What I did was in root's home dir (/root) I created a
file called .forward and put in the following:

  postmaster at ci.juneau.ak.us

You might want to add postmaster at woodmaclaw.com as a 2nd email address for
Administrator in Exchange, so that the Exchange server accepts that, or
conversely, put administrator at woodmaclaw.com in your .forward file.  Or both
just to be safe.

Might all be much of a muchness, but I know using a forward file works.

> ---------- In my mailertable I have this....
> woodmaclaw.com          esmtp:[10.1.1.2]
> www.woodmaclaw.com      esmtp:[10.1.1.2]

That looks fine (assuming that someone actually sends to
someone at www.woodmaclaw.com - I'd expect www to refer to a machine in the
woodmaclaw.com domain rather than a mail domain but there's nothing that
says it can't be both).  I also assume that 10.1.1.2 *isn't* the IP address
of mail.woodmaclaw.com, but is instead the internal address of the machine
to forward to.

Did you create the mailertable.db?  You have to run the following command
whenever you change a file like access, or mailertable:

 makemap hash /etc/mail/mailertable < /etc/mail/mailertable
 makemap hash /etc/mail/access < /etc/mail/access

If you don't do that, sendmail will never use the changes.  In my
circumstances, the mailertable, access table, etc. are pretty humble, but an
ISP that is hosting hundreds or more domains might have a huge table so
sendmail wants to create a db out of it for better performance.  The makemap
command builds the database.

Also, make sure you use tabs, not spaces between the domain name and
emspt...

> ---------- In my relay-domains I have this....
> Woodmaclaw.com
> www.woodmaclaw.com

That looks fine.  Or at least it looks similar to mine.  This file doesn't
need to be hashed like the mailertable or the access table.

And, in your sendmail.cf you should have the following (I'm assuming you
have an access table - can't recall if you mentioned it or not):

FEATURE(`mailertable')dnl
FEATURE(`access_db')dnl
dnl  These mailers are available. per default only smtp is used. You have
dnl  to add entries to /etc/mail/mailertable to enable one of the other
dnl  mailers.
MAILER(`local')dnl
MAILER(`smtp')dnl

If you change your sendmail.cf you'll have to regenerate your
/etc/sendmail.conf

> I am confused about naming the mailscanner.woodmaclaw.local to
> mailscanner.woodmaclaw.com.  Do I need to do this even though the
> computer is in my local domain?

I think this is actually OK - it needs to be .com on the outside, but can be
.local on the inside.  I was a bit befuddled yesterday by your description.
I think I sorted it out in my mind.

> Seems like you have a similar setup as me?  I have...
> --- path of mail ----
> Internet
> My csu/dsu 68.xxx.xxx.xxx
> My router (linux smoothwall distro)
> My mailscanner machine (mailscanner.woodmaclaw.local)
> My MS Exchange machine (woodendc.woodmaclaw.local)

Does the Exchange server accept mail for someone at woodmaclaw.com?  It will
need to do that of course.

Beyond that, I can't think of what else might be goofy.  Hope this helps...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500