"Restart Every" option in MailScanner.conf?

Michael Mansour micoots at YAHOO.COM
Fri Dec 30 15:28:17 GMT 2005

Hi,

> On 12/30/05, Michael Mansour <micoots at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Is it correct to say that this setting is only
> > relevant when MailScanner is actually started?
> > (otherwise how could the conf file be read).
> >
> > However, for some reason, MailScanner runs on the
> > standby node, even though I don't have it starting
> up
> > on boot, and I don't have mailscanner-mrtg
> starting it
> > up either (there's a setting in mailscanner-mrtg
> which
> > monitors MailScanner processes). I'm not sure why
> > MailScanner starts on the standby node when it
> > shouldn't.
> >

> The parent MailScanner process never stops running,
> it doesn't perform any
> actual mail work but kills off old children and
> spawns new ones at those
> intervals specified in "Restart every..." and when
> you issue a MailScanner
> reload. The children read the config themselves when
> they start.
>
> Look for cron jobs that might start MailScanner,
> both crontab for the root
> user and cron.hourly and such directories. On Linux
> systems they are added
> when you install MailScanner.

I found this:

# cat /etc/cron.hourly/check_MailScanner
#!/bin/bash

LOCKFILE=/var/lock/check_Mailscanner.lock
MS_LOCKFILE=/var/lock/subsys/MailScanner.off

if [ -f $MS_LOCKFILE ]; then
  echo "MailScanner manually shut down (no
$MS_LOCKFILE file)."
  echo "Not restarting."
  exit
fi

# the lockfile is not meant to be perfect, it's just
in case the
# two makewhatis cron scripts get run close to each
other to keep
# them from stepping on each other's toes.  The worst
that will
# happen is that they will temporarily corrupt the
database...
[ -f $LOCKFILE ] && exit 0
trap "rm -f $LOCKFILE" EXIT
touch $LOCKFILE
/usr/sbin/check_mailscanner -q # >/dev/null 2>&1
exit 0

which runs MailScanner if it's not started. These
scripts are good when you're running on a single host,
but in a cluster they only cause problems for the
standby node.

I guess all I have to do is remove the cron job and be
sure to set a monitor on the process to tell me when
MailScanner is shutdown.

Thanks for the advice Peter.

Michael.