"Restart Every" option in MailScanner.conf?

Michael Mansour micoots at YAHOO.COM
Fri Dec 30 03:40:54 GMT 2005

Hi,

I just have a couple of questions.

Do I really need this option? my current setting
defaults to:

# To avoid resource leaks, re-start periodically
Restart Every = 14400

which means restart MailScanner every 4 hours.

Is it correct to say that this setting is only
relevant when MailScanner is actually started?
(otherwise how could the conf file be read).

I'm using MailScanner on a 2 node cluster, primary
actually runs it (where I don't mind if the restart
happens), while the standby node doesn't until the
filesystems are failed-over to it, whereby I then
start MailScanner.

However, for some reason, MailScanner runs on the
standby node, even though I don't have it starting up
on boot, and I don't have mailscanner-mrtg starting it
up either (there's a setting in mailscanner-mrtg which
monitors MailScanner processes). I'm not sure why
MailScanner starts on the standby node when it
shouldn't.

I'm using MS 4.48.

Any ideas?

Michael.