Reduction in Spam?

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at NKPANAMA.COM
Sat Dec 24 15:07:16 GMT 2005

I've seen a steady increase in the spam that's dropped at the MTA level
because the spammers wants to send the message before the "220" SMTP
greeting (thanks to Sendmail's GreetPause feature), as well as spam
being blocked because of RBL's. Spam that makes it through those two has
increased somewhat less, though. What *has* increased dramatically is
the amount of "sober" and other worms/variants, which I usually find out
about when perusing the logs - clamav-milter usually takes care of it
*before* anything hits MailScanner.

What's also increased is the control some ISP's are exerting on
end-users; some of the local ISP's (even *more* so across their dialup
IP blocks) are blocking port 25 except to their own mailservers, and you
can only use *those* if you use SMTP AUTH first. Since my clients
usually use SMTPS on port 465 (or have been using SMTP+AUTH on 587) they
don't have a problem.

I've also seen an increase in the amount of open wifi access points in
downtown Panama City, Republic of Panama (where I live). Since most of
these are hooked up to unrestricted DSL/Cable connections, it opens the
door for local spammers working for local (or foreign) companies to do
some damage while robbing the clueless of their bandwidth and possibly
making them liable for what they did.

Let's hope we, as responsible sysadmins/consultants, can do something
about this during next year...

Happy Holidays to all!