Exim4 + MailScanner on Debian Sarge - SUCCESS

James Gray james at GRAYONLINE.ID.AU
Wed Dec 21 03:57:36 GMT 2005

Hi All,

Just wanted to gloat a little :)  I've been holding off moving my mail
gateway from Exim 3.36 to 4.50 for a long time due to the inordinately
complicated Debian Exim4 package.  I run the MailScanner tar ball so there
was no automagic Exim4+MailScanner package spell I could cast.  Today I bit
the bullet and after some swearing and trying to figure out just how the
hell Debian handles Exim4, I got it working. Yay for me.

Not only that, BUT I managed to get it working and kept the Debian
configuration system right down to those freaky DEBCONF settings (those who
know, will feel my pain).  On top of all that I also (finally) implemtented
authenticated SMTP over TLS for my road-warriors that authenticates back to
PAM - thus using the same credentials as their POP3 accounts :D

I plan on writing it up on my blog as soon as I get back from my Christmas
break.  If anyone thinks this little accomplishment is worthy of it's own
MailScanner Wiki page, let me know and I'll write it up there too :)

Have a great Christmas everyone!

Cheers,

James
--