Rejecting incoming emails with blank senders (Sendmail)

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at fsl.com
Fri Dec 9 00:48:22 GMT 2005

It's seems like I've been answering this question a lot lately :)

It's on the listserv archives. Go to:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind04&L=MAILSCANNER&P=R251201&
I=-3&X=7FFD786DDC994945AD&Y=steve.swaney%40fsl.com

If the link doesn't get you there, search the list archives for a subject
that contains:

	DOS attacked :(

And has a date of Wed, 3 Mar 2004.

Rejecting all e-mail that comes from "From: <>" breaks RFC 1123 and should
only be done in an emergency (read DOS attack). It's not a good idea to do
this on a permanent basis.

Having said that it looks like over 90% of the email today at many of the
sites we maintain and monitor was Junk; 85%+ spam and 5%+ viruses. Maybe
every day now is a DOS attack :(

Steve

Stephen Swaney
Fort Systems Ltd.