Feature Idea: MailScanner process name

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Dec 8 19:26:21 GMT 2005

Lewis Bergman wrote:

> Julian Field wrote:
>
>> Kai Schaetzl wrote:

>>> I like that! BTW, on a somewhat related issue: I changed the logging
>>> facility of MailScanner, so that I get a separate log which consists
>>> of MailScanner actions only and no clutter in the normal mail log
>>> anymore. You can set the logging facility in MailScanner.conf, f.i.
>>> to "news" (which is unlikely for most systems to run on the same
>>> machine or at all) and then redirect news with /etc/syslogd.conf to
>>> /var/log/mailscanner.log or whatever you like. Don't forget a file
>>> for logrotate.d!
>>>

>> That's what the local levels are for. Set it to log to local0 rather
>> than re-using news.
>>
> I have always thougt it would be nice if MailScaner came default using
> it's own log file.

Sorry, I disagree. syslogd is there to do the job very well for you, and
I don't think there is any point reinventing the wheel. You can easily
configure syslog.conf to use its own log file if that is what you want.
I don't like programs that do their own logging, it just makes more
things to configure per-app.

--
Julian Field

believed to be clean.