smtp load balancer???

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USHERBROOKE.CA
Wed Dec 7 20:35:55 GMT 2005

Joshua Hirsh wrote:

>>I am considering adding an SMTP load balancer in front of my
>>MS servers.
>>
>>Any suggestions?
>>

>Hi Denis,
>
> Have you tried setting up multiple A records for one MX, instead of two equal value records?
>

>For example:
>
>usherbrooke.ca.	IN	MX	5 smtpe1.usherbrooke.ca.
>smtpe1		IN	A	132.210.244.90
>smtpe1		IN	A	132.210.244.91
>

> It might be cheaper instead of buying a device to actually balance it out, but I don't have any data on how well this balances out the requests as compared to how you have it setup now (two equal value MX records).

Joshua,

Haven't tried this. But my problem would probably not be solved because
my Windows clients don't care about DNS too much... when they get an IP
for some name, they stick to it, even if it doesn't answer.  This makes
it hard to take the server offline for upgrade.

Besides I would like to support secured/authentified SMTP connections in
the future.  I believe I need a sole entry point to house the SSL
certificate.

Denis

--
   _