smtp load balancer???

Chris Conn cconn at ABACOM.COM
Wed Dec 7 20:11:36 GMT 2005

> I have a toaster removed from DNS now for over two weeks awaiting an OS
> upgrade, and it is still handling thousands of messages a day. A good
> load balancer will solve that problem.

So will reducing the record's TTL to a small value.  For instance, your
domain "pixelhammer.com" has a MX with priority of 1 called
"avhost.tls.net".  The TTL for that hostname is 24 hours....

Set it to a number of seconds instead of a number of hours and you no longer
need worry, except for the odd broken DNS implementation, which should be rare.

BIND is your friend:

avhost      5       IN      A       65.196.224.20
avhost	    5       IN      A       65.196.224.81

gives you a 5 second TTL on both records.  Remove one, reload DNS, and 5
seconds later it never existed.

Chris