Blocking emails that claim to come from our

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at NETMAGICSOLUTIONS.COM
Wed Dec 7 11:51:23 GMT 2005

Drew Marshall wrote:
> On Wed, December 7, 2005 10:43, Glenn Steen wrote:
>
>>On 07/12/05, Erick Perez <eaperezh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>what about MS and postfix?
>>>where do i implement that?
[SNIP]
> The only thing I would add is that sometimes helo rejection can be too
> harsh (There are loads of Exchange boxes that have strange AD domains
> setup due to AD getting confused over internal and external DNS and end up
> heloing with something like exchange.domain.internal which will be
> rejected with 'reject_invalid_hostname') so you might chose to add
> 'warn_if_reject' in front so you just log these and take a view on
> rejection based on your hits (Like your best customer won't be rejected
> for example!).

minuscule correction

'reject_invalid_hostname' under 'smtpd_helo_restrictions' will simply
reject the 'helo' if it contains any special / bad characters..

The parameter you are talking about is reject_unknown_hostname, which
will reject the mail if no valid A/MX record exists for the helo
hostname and causes quite a few false positives.

see: http://www.postfix.org/uce.html#smtpd_helo_restrictions

- dhawal