MailScanner users using Postfix as their MTA: Question

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 5 22:19:12 GMT 2005

On 05/12/05, Pete Russell <pete at enitech.com.au> wrote:
> Working fine for me for many years. Extra reliable and never had any
> lost mail or similar.
>
> Simple and reliable - 2 very important qualities for me.
>
> Pete
>
> Drew Marshall wrote:
> > On 5 Dec 2005, at 19:19, Jason Williams wrote:
> >
> >> Greetings everyone!
> >>

> >> As I am getting ready to setup a new MailScanner server for our
> >> company, I have toyed with the idea of using a different MTA;
> >> specifically, Postfix. My background with MTA's are in Sendmail,
> >> Postfix and Exchange. I have had very good success running MailScanner
> >> with Sendmail, but I wanted to switch things up a bit and possibly try
> >> Postfix here (keeps things fun and interesting, right?)
> >>

> >> Anyway, I was hoping to ask current users of Mailscanner with Postfix,
> >> if they could give me their feedback of what they like, dislike etc.
> >> Are there any known issues or problems? Any performance hits? Lost
> >> mail etc.
> >>

> > Personally, I like Postfix. It is sad that Jules and Wietse can't see
> > eye to eye as they are similar developers, in so much as they both write
> > good, reliable, continuously improving software with a nice simple
> > configuration file and documentation, although some what different
> > personalities! Performance hits, I haven't noticed any. Lost mail, not
> > for a very long time. Can Postfix do things that other MTAs can do, yes
> > and without re-building it or in many instances without needing plugins.
> > Is it the best/ better than anything else, well that's a question that
> > has started intercontinental wars :-)
> >
> > Go for it. At least you can say you gave it a go!
> >
> > Drew

Same here, no real problems (since Jules fixed the queue ID thing way
back). Very stable, very simple, yet .... very configurable(!)...
I especially like the ease of coupling anti-UCE PF things (and domain
anti-spoof) with MS versatility and resilience.... Best of everything!
(Well, I could probably do without McAfee, but don't tell the PHB I
said that:-):-)
Couldn't agree more about Mr Field and Mr Benema... Sometimes I think
one should turn to the time-tested nordic traditions.... Put 'em on a
small islet with some food and a big keg of booze (and some sharp
implements).... Pick 'em up a couple of days later.... Either they'll
be friends, or there will be a need for a coroner:-):-)

--
-- Glenn