Block SOBER at MTA (postfix)

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Mon Dec 5 18:02:15 GMT 2005

On Mon, December 5, 2005 17:52, Drew Marshall wrote:
> On Mon, December 5, 2005 17:15, Dhawal Doshy wrote:
>> As Drew mentioned, this is NOT supposed to replace a real AV but at the
>> same time i'd like having a feature where viruses are rejected without
>> much processing power. Plugging in an AV at the MTA is not such a great
>> idea (no bandwidth savings and no decrease in resource usage).
>
> Oh, I don't know. If you plug in the clamAV scanner in the right place...

Replying to one's self, it's something to do with Postfix users. How sad...

> If you use before queue scanning as described here
> http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_PROXY_README.html and set up the SMTP clam
> scanner as per here http://memberwebs.com/nielsen/software/clamsmtp/ you
> will save bandwidth as you can get Postfix to reject the mail at SMTP
> stage

Save some processing power not bandwidth is what I meant as you don't use
SA this early (Not indeed do you accept the message).

Thinking about this further, I wouldn't recommend it as you box would
start to die under a sustained mail bombardment as the mail wouldn't queue
for scanning (One of the advantages of MailScanner) and you would be
reliant on Clam returning before the SMTP session timed out.

> but it won't save processing in the same way as a decent MIME/ header/
> body check will do.

As that doesn't use Clam at all! A word of caution, which I should have
included before, all forms of message check come at a performance price so
the more you add or the more complex you make them the larger the hit
(Hence the word decent!).