Block SOBER at MTA (postfix)

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Dec 4 15:49:51 GMT 2005

Drew Marshall wrote:

> On 4 Dec 2005, at 11:22, Dhawal Doshy wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>> A simple body check in postfix will reject all sober.u mails.  Create
>> a file
>> /etc/postfix/virus_body_checks with this content:
>> /
>> ^UEsDBAoAAAAAAACQdjPMyus3XtgAAF7YAAAYAAAARmlsZS1wYWNrZWRfZGF0YUluZm8uZ
>> XhlTV qQ/
>>       REJECT VIRUS (W32/Sober.U at MM)
>

> Nice. Smart way to prevent MailScanner swamping as Remco is
> experiencing.
>
>> OR download it from here..
>> http://mx2.netmagicians.com/virus_body_checks
>> And add this to your /etc/postfix/main.cf
>> body_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/virus_body_checks
>> The string UEsDBAoAAAAAAA.... is the first mime encoded line of the
>> sober.u variant. This works well for sober but no 100% strike rate
>> (yet) for netsky.
>> Going forward (if the interest exists) i think we ought to maintain
>> this for all supported MTAs and all (possible) new virus outbreaks.
>

> Agreed. Perhaps we can lift some of the regex's from the Clam virus
> definitions? I have no idea how possible this is/ maybe...

This sounds remarkably like you are trying to make a virus scanner of
your own. You better be sure this is really the sort of thing you want
to take on as a project. You'll have users wanting signatures very
quickly and stuff like that, before you know where you are.
Personally I would steer well clear of it, and try out various ways of
deploying ClamAV at MTA level if that's what you want to achieve.
Just my 2p worth...

--
Julian Field

believed to be clean.