MailScanner quarantines Outlook "Broken apart large messages"

Randal, Phil prandal at HEREFORDSHIRE.GOV.UK
Fri Dec 2 17:20:12 GMT 2005

Well, you can create a rule, but bear in mind that fragmented messages
could well contain nasties which cannot be detected until the message /
attachment is reassembled in the user's mail reader.  As it's doubtful
your users will be running ClamAV / Bitdefender (for example) on their
desktops, you're courting with disaster...

in MailScanner.conf:

# Do you want to allow partial messages, which only contain a fraction
of
# the attachments, not the whole thing? There is absolutely no way to
# scan these "partial messages" properly for viruses, as MailScanner
never
# sees all of the attachment at the same time. Enabling this option can
# allow viruses through. You have been warned.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset so you can, for example,
allow
# them in outgoing mail but not in incoming mail.
Allow Partial Messages = %rules-dir%/partial.messages.rules

I've currently got two email addresses in my partial.messages.rules
file, and that's all.

Cheers,

Phil

----