worm emails marked as possible spam

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 2 09:55:01 GMT 2005

On 02/12/05, IT Dept <itdept at fractalweb.com> wrote:
> Ken Goods wrote:
>
> >In my case I had two versions of ClamAV running on my machine and running
> >scanscan from the command line would use the newer version and catch the
> >viruses but MailScanner using the wrapper was using the older version and
> >wouldn't.
> >
> >Thanks to the sharp eye (and much more experience) of Glenn Steen, the light
> >bulb finally went off. If you think there's any chance of this being your
> >problem take a look at the Antivirus woes... thread from yesterday.
> >

> Ken,
>
> You may be on to something here. If I do:
>
> # rpm -qa | grep -i clam
> webppliance-clamav-frontend-3.7.1-10
> clamav-0.65-4
> webppliance-clamav-3.7.1-10
>
> According to RPM, I have 0.65-4 of ClamAV installed, but from the shell,
> I get something different:
>
> # clamscan --version
> ClamAV 0.87.1/1200/Thu Dec  1 09:26:35 2005
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have yesterday's threads (this mailbox got a bit
> overstuffed), so I missed a bunch. Any hints on how to resolve?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Oooh, that's bad... Look at
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.virus.mailscanner/34158 (gmane is
your friend when in need of a good archive:-), where you'll see some
info on how to determine if MS is using the severely outdated clamav,
or not... Mainly look at the last column in virus.scanners.conf for
clamav, and compare that to the installed versions...

--
-- Glenn