Sign outbound messages

Jameel Akari jakari at BLUEAVIAN.COM
Thu Dec 1 18:57:48 GMT 2005

Reviewing the archives I saw that a question was recently asked about
disclaimers/signatures appended to outbound mail.

I currently implement this per-domain with:
Sign Clean Messages = /etc/MailScanner/rules/signing.rules
I have %org-name% set and we also have:
Sign Messages Already Processed = no

Is there any other way I can prevent Mailscanner from signing messages
where the body already contains our disclaimer?  That is, we send, and the
recipient replies without stripping off the disclaimer - but their MTA/MUA
do not keep the org-name header. When we reply again to that message, it
now has two copies of the disclaimer inlined.

It's more an annoyance than anything else (much the like the disclaimers
themselves!) but can anyone think of a clean way to not sign when the text
is already there?

One ugly way I can think of would be to make a custom SA rule that matched
a line of our disclaimer in the body, score it zero but make sure it still
shows up by name in the SA header.  Then one would have to patch
Mailscanner so that the "Sign Messages Already Processed" also looks at
the SA header as well as org-name.  Nasty.  Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
--
Jameel Akari