Why is MS doing spam checks first?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Dec 1 14:15:16 GMT 2005

On 1 Dec 2005, at 14:06, Remco Barendse wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, David H. wrote:
>
>> Remco Barendse wrote:
>>> I am getting flooded with these stupid "you visit illegal
>>> websites" crap
>>> as well as the login/pass scam mails
>>>
>>> All are about 75 Kb in size and contain a zip file with an .exe
>>>
>>> The body of those mails is almost empty, there is just this one
>>> zip file.
>>>
>>> Still it is causing my mailserver to overflow and spamass starts
>>> to time
>>> out
>>>
>>> I would assume the zipfiles contain a virus / trojan, but why
>>> isn't MS
>>> doing virus and filename checks first? It would save a lot of cpu
>>> cycles
>>
>> I am sorry to be an ass. But this has been discussed over and over
>> again,
>> please check the archives of this mailing list and you shall be
>> answered in
>> abundance :)
>
> You are excused ;)
>
> But I think that the last few months SpamAss has turned out to be
> more of a cpu+mem hog than any other check you would be doing on an
> e-mail.
>
> I think that any virusscanner will have scanned the average message
> in less than half a second wheras SpamAss is taking several seconds
> at least
>
> Sorry if my message was unclear but maybe it's time to switch
> priorities?

This old chestnut...

What is most of your mail? Spam. So what should you reject first? Spam.
Rejecting viruses first only reduces your mail by about 2%, leaving
98% to be spam checked. Which makes virtually no difference to your
load whatsoever.
Rejecting spam first reduces your mail by about 70%, leaving only 30%
to be virus checked and all the other tests. Which makes considerably
more difference.

That's all there is to it. Do tests in decreasing order of effect.
- --
Julian Field

believed to be clean.