Why is MS doing spam checks first?

Remco Barendse mailscanner at BARENDSE.TO
Thu Dec 1 12:28:51 GMT 2005

I am getting flooded with these stupid "you visit illegal websites" crap
as well as the login/pass scam mails

All are about 75 Kb in size and contain a zip file with an .exe

The body of those mails is almost empty, there is just this one zip file.

Still it is causing my mailserver to overflow and spamass starts to time
out

I would assume the zipfiles contain a virus / trojan, but why isn't MS
doing virus and filename checks first? It would save a lot of cpu cycles
on spamass which is putting more and more mail servers to a grinding halt