Ruleset for archiving mail

Brian Parish brian at UNIVEXSYSTEMS.COM
Mon Aug 29 17:13:27 IST 2005

On Monday 29 August 2005 06:03, Richard Smith wrote:
> On 29/08/2005, at 1:18 PM, Mike Kercher wrote:
> > MailScanner mailing list <> scribbled on Monday, August 29, 2005
> >
> > 5:17 AM:
> >> I would like to archive mail for one address.  Not spying,
> >> just allowing messages to be deleted from a mailbox used for
> >> incoming requests as they are processed, while keeping an
> >> untouched record elsewhere.
> >>
> >> When I specify:
> >>
> >> archive = /etc/MailScanner/rules/archive-ruleset
> >>
> >> it is interpreted as a mbox file to which messages should be
> >> appended.  How do I tell MailScanner that this is a ruleset?
> >>
> >> Given that I get this right, I presume that the contents
> >> should be something
> >> like:
> >>
> >> To:    info at domain    info-archive at domain
> >
> > archive = /etc/MailScanner/rules/archive-ruleset.rules should do
> > the trick.
> >
> > Mike
>
> What Mike means is, all of your MailScanner rule files should
> have .rules on the end of the name, this helps MailScanner know the
> difference between a ruleset and what you are seeing happening to
> your file, with it being treated as the output of the archive setting.
>
> - Richard

Yep - got that thanks.  I guess it points out that it's the little things that
get you.   All the examples of rulesets and all the comments in the
MailScanner.conf file and the relevant pages from the MailScanner book that
I've checked never mention a file type.  Should have worked this out for
myself I guess.  Must be a bad braincell day!

thanks again
Brian
--
best regards