Beta release 4.45.2

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Aug 27 17:33:28 IST 2005

I have just release beta release version 4.45.2.

The major new feature for this beta release is the ability to control
whether you want to highlight any phishing attack links and/or modify
the subject line when a phishing attack is found.
The other useful thing is that when a message passes through more than
one MailScanner servers and a "web bug" is found, you no longer get the
"Web Bug from MailScannerWebBug" text in the message, so the message
looks a lot tidier in this situation.

Download as usual from www.mailscanner.info.

For your interest, MailScanner is now running at a steady rate of 30,000
downloads per month.

The total measured so far is about 580,000 downloads. So I have beaten
the 1/2 million downloads figure, yay! That implies me that my best
guess of the number of sites is probably at least 60,000 sites. That's
quie a few, and way more than any of the commercial systems. Barracuda
jump up and down about their 12,000 boxes: small fry :-)

The full Change Log from 4.44 is this:

* New Features and Improvements *
- Added MCP patches for SpamAssassin 3.0.4.
- Added extra output about nodeps switch with install.sh for RPM.
- Added "no bytes" lines to cancel out "use bytes" as it causes problems
  with multi-lingual subject lines.
- Improved phishing net so that when you have multiple MailScanner servers
  all handling your incoming mail, links caught by the first one won't also
  be caught by the following ones. This caused the final message to contain
  multiple warnings about the same link. There is now just 1 warning.
- New "Quarantine Modified Body" setting, default is "no". This will cause
  all modified messages to be quarantined, including messages which have
  had their HTML disarmed.
- Added syslog-ing to BitDefender updater.
- Improved web bug handler when disarmed by multiple MailScanners.
- Added new configuration options to control whether you want to highlight
  phishing fraud links or modify the subject line or both.
  New options are :-
  Highlight Phishing Fraud (= yes        by default)
  Phishing Modify Subject  (= "{Fraud?}" by default)
  Phishing Subject Text    (= no         by default)

* Fixes *
- Corrected bayes_file_mode in spam.assassin.prefs.conf on advice from
  Matt Kettler.
- 'MailScanner -v' now prints out the version number of Convert::TNEF.
- Group memberships problem on BSD fixed. Spam quarantine membership
  should now always be correct on BSD systems.

--
Julian Field