Moving MailScanner to new system problems

James Pifer jamespifer at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 24 13:09:06 IST 2005

Due to a recent electrical storm I lost my mail server, or least it would
not function any longer. I am able to get to the files through linux rescue,
but the box will not boot. I wanted to install a new box anyway, it just
forced my hand.

My new box is running Centos 4, the old was Redhat 8. I copied my
/etc/MailScanner directory to the new box then ran the latest MailScanner
install. It seemed to go fine, but I'm having the following issues:

1) Had to modify /etc/sysconfig/MailScanner.conf to specify the MTA. Even
though it was correct on the MailScanner.conf, it kept complaining (Invalid
MTA error) until I modified it there.

2) When I try to start MailScanner I get the following error:
# service MailScanner start
Starting MailScanner daemons:
/): No such file or directory51 4.0.0 can not chdir(/var/spool/mqueue.in
                                                           [  OK  ]
         outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
         MailScanner:                                      [  OK  ]
#

The directory exists and the permissions seem fine as far as I can tell.
I've compared the permissions to another MailScanner box and they are the
same.

3) When I stop MailScanner I get the following error:
# service MailScanner stop
Shutting down MailScanner daemons:
         MailScanner:                                      [  OK  ]
         incoming sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
         outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
: No such file or directoryne 299: cd: /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming
#

Again, the directory exists and the permissions seem fine as far as I can
tell. I've compared the permissions to another MailScanner box and they are
the same.

4) Keeping the above errors in mind, MailScanner does run, but it's not
working and port 25 is not open.

I've googled and looked at the FAQ and have not found a solution yet. Any
suggestions on how to fix these issues?

Centos 4
Latest MailScanner (downloaded yesterday)
sendmail-8.13.1-2

Thanks,
James