TNEF still a problem?

Stef Morrell stef at L5NET.NET
Tue Aug 23 13:01:50 IST 2005

Julian <MailScanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:
> That's interesting. Maybe there's a new TNEF version out
> there that the
> module doesn't support properly. Has anyone checked the
> Changelog of the
> Convert::TNEF module? Am I a long way from the most recent version?

I've just come across the same problem. Email gets caught up in a loop
of trying to deal with the TNEF via the internal decoder and never gets
delivered. Switching to the external decoder resolves the problem.

In the latest MailScanner you are shipping Convert::TNEF 0.17, which
seems to be the latest version, as CPAN shell insists my Convert::TNEF
is up to date.

Here's the wierd thing...

MailScanner -v doesn't list Convert::TNEF at all, even though I can
clearly see it's in the code...

# Are we just printing version numbers and exiting?
if (grep /^-+[vV]/, @ARGV) {
  my @Modules = qw/AnyDBM_File Archive::Zip Carp Convert::BinHex
Convert::TNEF D
ata::Dumper DirHandle Fcntl File::Basename File::Copy FileHandle
File::Path File
::Temp HTML::Entities HTML::Parser HTML::TokeParser IO IO::File IO::Pipe
Mail::C
lamAV Mail::Header Mail::SpamAssassin MIME::Base64 MIME::Decoder
MIME::Decoder::
UU MIME::Head MIME::Parser MIME::QuotedPrint MIME::Tools
MIME::WordDecoder Net::
CIDR POSIX SAVI Socket Sys::Syslog Time::localtime/;

But, if I do say...

use CPAN;

print "Convert::TNEF Version is
".CPAN::Shell->expand("Module","Convert::TNEF")-
>inst_version."\n";

I get 0.17 as the answer...

So - there's something else going on, unrelated to the module version.
Further, I've only experienced this since upgrading to 4.44.6 - which
unless I'm mistaken, already includes the patch released on 01/08.

Regards

Stef

FYI:

Running on
Linux cyril 2.6.12.4-Tromix #1 SMP Mon Aug 8 18:15:27 BST 2005 i686
pentium3 i386 GNU/Linux
This is Perl version 5.008006 (5.8.6)

This is MailScanner version 4.44.6
Module versions are:
1.00    AnyDBM_File
1.14    Archive::Zip
1.03    Carp
1.119   Convert::BinHex
1.00    DirHandle
1.05    Fcntl
2.73    File::Basename
2.08    File::Copy
2.01    FileHandle
1.06    File::Path
0.16    File::Temp
1.29    HTML::Entities
3.45    HTML::Parser
2.30    HTML::TokeParser
1.21    IO
1.10    IO::File
1.123   IO::Pipe
1.50    Mail::Header
3.05    MIME::Base64
5.417   MIME::Decoder
5.417   MIME::Decoder::UU
5.417   MIME::Head
5.417   MIME::Parser
3.03    MIME::QuotedPrint
5.417   MIME::Tools
0.10    Net::CIDR
1.08    POSIX
1.77    Socket
0.05    Sys::Syslog
1.02    Time::localtime

Optional module versions are:
1.810   DB_File
1.08    Digest
1.01    Digest::HMAC
2.33    Digest::MD5
2.10    Digest::SHA1
0.44    Inline
0.17    Mail::ClamAV
3.000004        Mail::SpamAssassin
1.997   Mail::SPF::Query
0.15    Net::CIDR::Lite
0.49    Net::DNS
missing Net::LDAP
1.94    Parse::RecDescent
0.15    SAVI
1.2     Sys::Hostname::Long
2.42    Test::Harness
0.47    Test::Simple
1.95    Text::Balanced
1.35    URI

Stefan Morrell		| Director
Tel: 0870 365 2813	| Level 5 Internet Ltd
Fax: 0192 450 7307	| Part of the Alpha Omega Group
stef at l5net.net		| stef at aoc-uk.com