geocities spam, why isn't it caught

Remco Barendse mailscanner at BARENDSE.TO
Tue Aug 23 08:41:43 IST 2005

Thanks for all the replies.

>> The mails are only scored by bayes, none of the other checks are triggered.
>> I knos someone posted a rule to block uk.geocities.com (even though I lost
>> the mail) but what worries me more is the fact that they manage to get past
>> all checks incl. SURBL / URI and dcc checks.
>>
>> Anyone have any idea why, is my setup wrong?
>
> SURBL wont list them since its a legit site. They suck, since they dont
> respond to abuse, but they are still legit.

Strange that SURBL won't list them because they are a legit site. I
thought it was possible to block based on URLS given, not just domain
names? Most teenagers do not send their new geocities homepage to 10
million people so I guess if a url passes a certain number of hits it
could safely be blacklisted?

> You could add some extra rules for this, and feel free to replace the it/uk
> with * if you want to be on the safe side. Geocities can ignore this, but
> they risk that people just put them inside a lot of filters, harming much
> much more.

Well with geocities contributing to spam they do not deserve better than
to be blacklisted.

I don't understand the format fully but have now added this to
prolo.cf:

uri PROLO_PUBWEB_GEO_CHECK /^http:\/\/*\.geocities\.com\//
score PROLO_PUBWEB_GEO_CHECK  15.0
describe PROLO_PUBWEB_GEO_CHECK PROLO_PUBWEB_GEO_CHECK, Body

I hope this will trap any e-mail with geocities domain in it?

Thanks! Remco