Exim acting odd

Scott Silva ssilva at SGVWATER.COM
Tue Aug 16 23:11:51 IST 2005

Jørgen Giversen spake the following on 8/16/2005 2:44 PM:
> Dear all
> This evening our mail sever started to write this in the messages log
> Aug 16 21:39:44 mail-web exim: Process did not exit cleanly, returned 13
> with signal 0
> Aug 16 23:00:09 mail-web exim: Process did not exit cleanly, returned 13
> with signal 0
> Aug 16 23:00:20 mail-web exim: Process did not exit cleanly, returned 13
> with signal 0
> Aug 16 23:00:31 mail-web exim: Process did not exit cleanly, returned 13
> with signal 0
> Aug 16 23:01:09 mail-web exim: Process did not exit cleanly, returned 13
> with signal 0
> and it continues
> In /tmp it genereates a lot of empty folders named
> tnef.5595
> tnef.5614
> tnef.5655
> tnef.5675
> owned by exim
> any ideas whats going on
>
> OS: RHEL4
> MTA: exim 4.43
> Mailscanner: 4.44.6-2
> spamassassin: 3.0.4-1
>
> Best regards
> Jørgen Giversen

Sounds like it is choking on expanding the tnef encoded attachment of
some mail.
If you look at the incomming queue at the oldest file there, it might be
what it is choking on.
You could try the other tnef decoder from the one you currently use
(internal vs the binary).

--

| MailScanner; The best |___________ \N1____====== )-+
| protection on the net!|                   ~~~|/~~  |