In hebrew emails mail scanner puts gibberish in the Subject line

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USHERBROOKE.CA
Tue Aug 16 14:48:13 IST 2005

Alex Neuman van der Hans wrote:

>How do you do this in Sendmail, exactly? I've got a client who constantly
>emails me saying "someguy at somewhere.com's mail scanning program bounced my
>mail, why?" and the bounce always says something about violating RFC's by
>using unquoted accented characters in the subject line. If I could get
>sendmail to sanitize the subject lines at least it would get rid of the
>bounces.

Alex,

I've looked for close to 1 hour at the bat book (sendmail from O'Reilly)
and couldn't find the setup I mentioned.  I saw ways to force 8bit to
7bit conversion in emails, but nothing specific to headers.

I finally asked another admin here and he told me it wasn't sendmail
that did the trick but Cyrus mail that either replaces 8bit characters
in subjects with X, or either rejects the email altogether.  This may be
what you are looking at: some admin that believes it is better to reject
an email with 8bit characters in the subject line than to "sanitize" it...

Denis

--
   _
  °v°   Denis Beauchemin, analyste