"mailscanner reload" for Solaris?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Aug 11 21:16:43 IST 2005

Jeff A. Earickson wrote:

> Julian,
>
> I was looking at Steve Swaney's Rules_Du_Jour install script,
> and his script does "/etc/init.d/MailScanner reload", probably
> in Linux-land.  My Solaris /etc/init.d script is attached, having
> not been touched in a long time.  What would a "reload" action
> be in Solaris?  Does MailScanner catch signals?

Yes.

Find the PID of MailScanner from the PID File setting in MailScanner.conf.
If this PID is 123 then do

kill -HUP -123

Note the -123 as opposed to 123. This will HUP the whole process group,
which all the children will catch and commit suicide. They are then
respawned by the parent, which ignores the HUP itself.

--
Julian Field