Problem with quarantine/deletion links

Gray, Richard richard.gray at DNS.CO.UK
Thu Aug 11 08:54:47 IST 2005

Hi,

I've got a small problem with the way MailScanner currently handles
messages as they arrive in the system.

I've got rules set up so that mail with a spam score > 10 will be
automatically deleted.

I also have MCP enabled and am using it as a profanity filter. This is
set to quarantine everything with a score > 4

The problem I have is that some of the spam that scores > 10 also happens
to contain a lot of profanity, and hence scores > 4 on the MCP filters.
This means that rather than the message being deleted, it gets
quarantined. I would like these messages to be deleted based on their
spam score rather than quarantined because of their MCP score.

I thought the 'First Check' entry in MailScanner.conf would be where to
fix this, so I changed this to 'First Check = spam', but this doesn't
seem to have done the trick.

Is there somewhere else I need to change this in order to make it work?
Or maybe there is a way to define the precedence of the various actions
(filetypes, actions, spam, etc.)

I guess what I'm suggesting is a new entry in MailScanner.conf for a user
to define the priority which each filter has. I personally would have the
order be: Virus, Spam, MCP, filetypes .... but I can see that other
people would do things differently.

I haven't looked into the code itself to make this change, but am happy
to do so, if someone could point me in the right direction.

Many Thanks,

Richard

This email from dns has been validated by dnsMSSTM Managed Email Security
and is free from all known viruses. For further information contact
email-integrity at dns.co.uk