Maximum number of files in the Archive

Rakesh rakesh at NETCORE.CO.IN
Sat Aug 6 14:44:19 IST 2005

Hi

We were having a discussion the MailScanner channel about the feature of
Maximum number of files that can be there in an Archive. But this
feature has the potential to load the system as MailScanner finds the
archives by content and not just name.

Apparently clamav has a similar feature with clamscan command line
options as
--max-files=#n
              Extract  first  #n files from each archive. This option
protects
              your system against DoS attacks (default: 500)
--block-max
               Mark archives as viruses (e.g. RAR.ExceededFileSize,
Zip.ExceededFilesLimit)  if  max-files,  max-space,  or  max-recursion  is
              reached.

What we were thinking of is utilize the Clamav's capability to do the
work. Obviously this will apply to the ClamAV users.

Say we can have a setting through MailScanner.conf

Maximum Number of Files in Archive = 500 (default)
Block Attachment if Max number exceeds (yes/no) = yes. # If this is set
to know Clamav will scan only the first 500 files and ignore the rest.

This will help to keep a tap on the Maximum number files that can be
there in the attachment. With causing un-necessary overhead for
MailScanner.

What do you guys say on this ?

Rakesh