OT: Sendmail and Mailertable Problem

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at NKPANAMA.COM
Thu Aug 4 23:39:13 IST 2005

William Burns wrote:

> If you haven't tried Alex's suggestion yet, it'd be a good idea to
> run  "strings mailertable.db" to see what you've currently got in your
> mailertable.db file.
> I'm not familiar w/ the wildcard syntax that you appear to be using in
> your mailertable entry.
> For testing purposes, I'd suggest explicitly naming each full
> subdomain on the left-hand-side of  your mailertable entry. (w/ no
> leading ".")
>
> Otherwise, your syntax looks good.

True, I hadn't noticed the leading dots before the name.

I've looked into:
http://lists.swelltech.com/pipermail/webmin-l-archive/2000-September/005184.html

but in...
http://www.sendmail.org/m4/mailertables.html
... I see a leading dot.

However, I clean-and-relay mail for half a dozen clients and I never use
leading dots. In fact, since one of my servers doesn't have a reverse
DNS address I have to add:

aol.com                 smtp:[1.2.3.4]
netscape.net            smtp:[1.2.3.4]

... to my mailertable so that aol and netscape addresses will be sent
through my brain-dead isp's mail servers.