unable to write pid to sendmail.pid

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 3 09:20:09 IST 2005

> >After looking in /etc/init.d/rc3, I found the following in the MailScanner
> >file;
>
> >msppid=/var/spool/clientmqueue/sm-client.pid
> >srvpid=/var/run/sendmail.pid
> >srvoutpid=/var/run/sendmail-out.pid
> >mspid=/var/run/MailScanner.pid
>
> >Not sure where to put the "-OPidFile=/var/run/sendmail.out.pid" command.

Looks like it's already there, provided the invocation (in the start
"action" actually use that srvoutpid variable), so it is something
else the matter.

> Hello,
>
> Found more oddities. After looking on another MailScanner system, Mandrake
> 9.1, found;
>
>  ls /var/run/sendmail
> sendmail.in.pid   sendmail.out.pid
>
> However, in Suse 9.3 found this;
>
> # ls /var/run/sendmail
>      sendmail.pid
>
> Very strange.

Not really. SuSE isn't really as closely related to RH as
Mandriva-that-used-to-be-Mandrake is, so I'd guess that you'd have
completely (well:-) different init scripts.

But assuming it is _not_ the outgoing sendmail that is causing grief,
something makes the incoming sendmail carp... so... First thing to try
is to simply change the pid filename for the incoming server...
perhaps
srvpid=/var/run/sendmail.in.pid
... Then restart MailScanner. You should see if it is a problem with
the init script now, since it should complain about the
sendmail.in.pid file in that case. If so, perhaps it's time to sdtart
tracing the init-script ("set -x" early and run it by hand....).

--
-- Glenn