Want to be sure this program is what I need

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Tue Aug 2 21:38:59 IST 2005

On 2 Aug 2005, at 20:42, Stephen Swaney wrote:

> [...]

I think I have seen riots and wars started for lesser questions :-)

> Everybody has their favorites so let's no start a war but my
> preferences
> would be:
>
> MTA: sendmail or exim
> IMAP / POP: dovecot http://www.dovecot.org/
>
> Note that Dovecot ships with CentOS 4.x and I believe it's also
> part of Red
> Hat 4.x.

[oops and this time to the list...]

Personally I prefer Postfix and Courier-IMAP as I prefer Maildir
format but as you can see already it's quite a minefield. If you have
time I would set up a test box and try those that interest you. There
is some good info in the wiki (Address in the footers of all messages
from the list) and there is also some good info here http://
www.gentoo.org/doc/en/virt-mail-howto.xml which although written for
Gentoo can quite easily be adapted for your distro. It will certainly
give you the general idea.

Have fun

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous