All mail treated as spam?

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Thu Apr 28 20:33:28 IST 2005

Remy de Ruysscher wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed something odd. As of today almost all of my mail treated as
> spam. My configuration hasn't changed
> in the last of weeks. The funny thing is, spam isn't caught anymore, it
> scores very low. I'm receiving tons of spam right now.
>
> I'm running MS 4.40.11 with SA 3.02 on FreeBSD 6-CURRENT.
>
> Apr 28 21:06:03 unix-asp MailScanner[89231]: Message CBE144B8E4.3F20A
> from 80.126.112.129 (owner-mailscanner at jiscmail.ac.uk) to unix-asp.com
> is spam, RFC-IGNORANT-WHOIS, SpamAssassin (score=4.639, required 7, AWL
> 0.66, INFO_TLD 0.48, VIRUS_WARNING62 3.50)

That's happening because you are using rfc-ignorant in your MailScanner
spam lists.

rfc-ignorant currently lists the JISCMAIL.AC.UK domain, and has since
august 2004.

They take exception with the fact that the whois record for jiscmail
doesn't have any contact information at all. No address, No phone, No
email, Nothing.

You might want to not use rfc-ignorant as a spam-list.

In fact, IMHO, you shouldn't use MailScanner's spam-list at all. I've
yet to find any RBL that I find suitably low in false positives to be
trusted as a sole criteria for spam.