incoming/outgoing spool shared with several mailscanners over nfs?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Apr 27 22:08:29 IST 2005

I would advise the use of multiple independent MailScanner servers, each
with its own MX record in its DNS. Should load-balance very nicely for you.

Sharing mqueue directories is fraught with locking problems and inefficient.

The biggest cluster I have heard of is over 100 MailScanner servers.

Leif Neland wrote:

> I've got a mailserver with sendmail and mailscanner, which is getting
> a bit
> overloaded.
>
> I'm using the setup where one sendmail daemon drops the mail in
> .../mqueue.in, mailscanner takes the mail from there and drops it in
> .../mqueue, where another sendmail daemon picks it up and sends it out.
>
> Is it possible to share the mqueue.in and mqueue dirs over nfs with other
> machines?
> so I can have several mailscanners working on the same diretories without
> they are trying to process the same files?
>
> Or could I make a program which periodically moved mailfiles from one
> server
> to another?
>
> Leif

Julian Field