OT - Help needed with Header interpretation

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Tue Apr 26 14:49:19 IST 2005

I work at a newspaper. We have stringent deadlines to follow here, and allow
ads to be emailed to some of our clerks for submission.

We have one customer who insists they are sending emails containing ads 3
days before we received them, which means they are past deadline upon their
arrival here. I have looked at all of our maillogs to view the envelopes and
reviewed each header of any of this customer's emails, and the headers show
what appears to be, at most, a twenty second delay from the earliest time in
the header until delivery. Some have multiple relays, all of which follow
the time line.

Unless they are being queued somewhere at their site, can someone verify to
me that the earliest date in a header is, in fact, the time that the email
was sent from their client -  Or maybe give me some reason to believe this
customer? I realize that machine clocks may be different, but 3 days is a
little unreasonable.

This is not any type of legal matter here, and no one will be held
responsible for their responses, so please feel free to express your
opinions.

Thanks for any input, postive or negative.

Steve Campbell
campbell at cnpapers.com
Charleston Newspapers