Stop inbound

John Wilcock john at TRADOC.FR
Fri Apr 22 07:17:37 IST 2005

David Lee wrote:
> > The init.d script can be given
> >   start
> >   stop
> >   restart
> >   reload
> >   startin   <--- just start the incoming MTA
> >   startout   <--- just start the outgoing MTA
> >   status
>
> Julian: Might it be worth adding a "stopin" and "stopout"?  This would
> complete the symmetry of the above list, and also allow the original
> enquirer ("AP") to have consistency in how he would stop and start the
> inbound process, i.e. a consistent pair "service MailScanner stopin" and
> "service MailScanner startin".  (Naturally, some implementation
> rationalisation could be done so that "stop" would be (re)written to use
> "stopin" and "stopout"; likewise for the "start*" family.)

For that matter, there are also times when it can be useful to stop MS
but leave the MTA running, or start MS without starting the incoming
MTA, or...

So as well as stopin and stopout, for true completeness we need startMS
and stopMS.

John.

--
-- Over 2500 webcams from ski resorts around the world - www.snoweye.com