Stop inbound

David Lee t.d.lee at DURHAM.AC.UK
Thu Apr 21 17:02:54 IST 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Julian Field wrote:

> AP wrote:
>
>> Hey Guys,
>>
>> Is there a way that I can shutdown the reception of mail to the inbound
>> queue while still allowing MailScanner to process what's currently in the
>> inbound queue and still allow the delivery of mail in the post-processing
>> queue?
>>
> Just kill the incoming MTA process. Read the MailScanner init.d script
> and you should be able to work out where it puts its PID file. Then when
> you want to restart the incoming MTA, do a "service MailScanner startin"
> or equivalent. The init.d script can be given
>   start
>   stop
>   restart
>   reload
>   startin   <--- just start the incoming MTA
>   startout   <--- just start the outgoing MTA
>   status

Julian: Might it be worth adding a "stopin" and "stopout"?  This would
complete the symmetry of the above list, and also allow the original
enquirer ("AP") to have consistency in how he would stop and start the
inbound process, i.e. a consistent pair "service MailScanner stopin" and
"service MailScanner startin".  (Naturally, some implementation
rationalisation could be done so that "stop" would be (re)written to use
"stopin" and "stopout"; likewise for the "start*" family.)

Just a thought...

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :