maillog logging level

Billy Pumphrey billy at PLANETGEEK.BIZ
Tue Apr 19 20:45:24 IST 2005

When I set it up I either ran the one in the mailscanner book:
Chkconfig --level all sendmail off
Chkconfig --level 345 MailScanner on
Service sendmail stop
Service MailScanner start

Or the one on the site
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/linux.shtml

   service sendmail stop
    chkconfig sendmail off
        chkconfig --level 2345 MailScanner on
        service MailScanner start

I do not recall which one that I did, but that did confuse me a little
because they are different.  I tried researching exactly what this does but
I did not get very far.

I did run what you just said and here is what I found:

If I do service MailScanner stop
        Then service sendmail status
Sendmail is stopped

UPDATE UPDATE
I feel stupid :), and linux just kicks my behind.  My mistake on what
information I have been giving you, I am sorry :(.  I cannot pass mail
through the machine.  How I have been testing was by sending a email to my
external email address, that address gets forwarded to my work address where
mailscanner would then process it.  What I forgot was that I had changed my
setup.  I no longer was forwarding my email, but I setup a POP3 account on
my outlook and it received the email that way.
(hope that makes sense)

In other words, the email was never passing through mailscanner.

So I believe my sendmail chkconfig to be correct.  Now I am really lost
on what to check. ??

MailScanner
> is
> >the relay between the internet and my exchange server 10.1.1.2.  I
will
> run
> >briefly what I did.
> >Edited mailertable to:
> >Woodmaclaw.com          esmtp:[10.1.1.2]
> >www.woodmaclaw.com      esmtp:[10.1.1.2]
> >
> >Then I ran the makefile thing (??? Can't recall the command) for
> >mailtertable
> >
> >Other than that I change organization name and such in
MailScanner.conf.