Microsoft's own email filtering

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Apr 19 19:45:47 IST 2005

DNSAdmin wrote:

> At 01:38 PM 4/19/2005, you wrote:
>
>> MS Exchange Server:  689.20
>> MS Exchange User CAL:  49.56/user
>> MS Outlook 2003:  99.40/seat
>>
>> The knowledge you still have a better solution than
>> Microsoft....Priceless!!
>>

> Plus, you need twice the hardware to run Microsoft's bloated 'C' code to
> handle the same volume of mail as a an MS system.. AT LEAST!

And people still ask me why MailScanner is written in "inefficient" Perl
when it should be written better in "efficient" C. On the usual rule of
thumb that 1 line of Perl is about 10 lines of C, that would make
MailScanner well on the way to 1/2 million lines of code. Eek! Now that
*would* be a big project.

Just think, the first decent size C program I wrote was 6,000 lines of C
(The Atari ST version of Autoroute, if anyone is interested). That
seemed quite big to me at the time. And I still haven't ever attended a
programming course :-)

--
Julian Field