Building a Server from scratch

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Wed Apr 13 14:54:18 IST 2005

Martin Hepworth wrote:

> Lance
>
> Spamassassin first along with DCC etc.
>
> then MailScanner once everything else is OK.

Personally, I'd favor installing MailScanner first, and get it up and
running the mail queue with no virus or spam scanning.

However, I would suggest testing spamassassin with DCC, pyzor, etc.
before enabling "Use SpamAssassin" in mailscanner.conf.

Really, I suppose you could do the install order whatever way you want,
whether you install SA first, or last is probably not very important.

What is important is testing your tools with their command-line
interfaces before you tell MS to start using them and get a whole pile
of mail mismarked as spam because the SA configuration is confused, etc..

Same concept goes for adding virus scanners. Test them with the CLI
before telling MS to use them.