MailScanner & IPv6 [SOLVED]

Rick Cooper rcooper at DWFORD.COM
Wed Apr 6 13:36:48 IST 2005

I am thinking, and again I am not a sendmail man, that the IPv6: is a
sendmail designation for logging or other internal use. If you do a:

host IPv6:2001:888:0:1::666 you get Host IPv6:2001:888:0:1::666 not found:
3(NXDOMAIN)

but if you do:

host 2001:888:0:1::666 you get
6.6.6.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.8.8.8.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa
domain name pointer xs6.xs4all.nl.

So as you can see the IPv6 is not actually part of the IP address and the
code fragment is attempting to retrieve the IP address (hence the
$message->{clientip} = $1; part). That is why I used (?:IPv6:)? which is
non-capturing and leaves the $1 set as the actual IP portion of
[IPv6:address] or [dotted quad address]. I haven't looked through all the
code so I don't know if this address is used for anything other than
logging. If it is, then it would be important that only an accurate address
be returned. Anyway as you can verify by doing a lookup on the address in
your example adding in the IPv6: portion results in an address that cannot
be resolved, removing it results in a resolvable address.

Rick

> Mike.

> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.