DCC new version, new licence...

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Sun Apr 3 14:24:07 IST 2005

Hi,

        I just noticed that DCC went from version 1.2.74 to 1.3 today.  In the
changelog: "New licence".

        This is the licence: http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/dcc-tree/LICENSE

The interresting part:

  * This agreement is not applicable to any entity which sells anti-spam
  * solutions to others or provides an anti-spam solution as part of a
  * security solution sold to other entities, or to a private network
  * which employes the DCC or uses data provided by operation of the DCC
  * but does not provide corresponding data to other users.

And then it says it's free to use & distribute.

So anyone selling services based on DCC would need a commercial licence.

My questions:

- Is that new?

- What means this sentence : (from the home page) The Distributed
Checksum Clearinghouse source carries a license that is free to
organizations that do not sell filtering devices or services except to
their own users and that participate in the global DCC network. (I.e.
ISPs that use the DCC to filter mail for their own users are intended to
be covered in the free license.)

If someone runs a DCC server and sells services based on DCC, is it
covered by the free licence?

Thanks,

Ugo