SA 3.0 debugging, burned by Sys-Hostname-Long

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Wed Sep 29 21:55:11 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Gang,

I was doing some testing of SA 3.0 on the issue of URIBL, by doing:

spamassassin -D -p /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf --test < bad.msg

where bad.msg was from Rick Cooper's posting about this whole issue
of getting the URIBL stuff to work.  Anyway, the command above reset
my hostname on my Solaris box!!!  (I was running as root since MS does).

This bug is a manifestation of the bug in Sys-Hostname-Long-1.2,
whereby it changes your hostname to "-fqdn" as part of the "make test"
stuff during installation.  Beware that it bites in other ways!
(Julian, any fix from the maintainer?)

My test output of SA 3.0 shows that the URIBL stuff is being used
against the test message, but I shure don't see any syslogging of
its use from MailScanner.  <headscratch>

Jeff Earickson
Colby College