Yet another rules question

Dustin Baer dustin.baer at IHS.COM
Wed Sep 29 18:17:16 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Brent Strignano wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to follow the FAQ and specify a different filename rules file
>for outgoing and incoming mail.
>Here is what I did so far.
>Copied the original 'filename.rules.conf' file to
>'inbound.filename.rules.conf' and 'outbound.filname.rules.conf' and put
>them in my rules directory.
>Created a new filename.rules.conf file that contains the following:
>From:           192.168.0
>%rules-dir%/outbound.filename.rules.conf
>FromOrTo:       default         %rules-dir%/inbound.filename.rules.conf
>
>When I start MailScanner I get these errors in the maillog:
>
>Sep 29 12:11:03 mailscan MailScanner[3181]: Possible syntax error on
>line 1 of /etc/MailScanner/rules/filename.rules.conf
>Sep 29 12:11:03 mailscan MailScanner[3181]: Remember to separate fields
>with tab characters!
>Sep 29 12:11:03 mailscan MailScanner[3181]: Possible syntax error on
>line 2 of /etc/MailScanner/rules/filename.rules.conf
>Sep 29 12:11:03 mailscan MailScanner[3181]: Remember to separate fields
>with tab characters!
>
>And the rules are not applied. I definitely used tabs to delimit the
>fields of that file. If I change the setting for the filename rules file
>in MailScanner.conf to use either the inbound or outbound file it works
>with no syntax error.

It isn't the tabs that is the problem, it is the files you are creating.

1.  Point MailScanner.conf  to a ruleset, e.g.

    Filename Rules = %rules-dir%/Filename.rules

2.  In the above file you will use your From: and FromOrTo: default lines:

    From:   192.168.0   /opt/MailScanner/etc/outbound.filename.rules.conf
    FromOrTo:   default   /opt/MailScanner/etc/filename.rules.conf

You shouldn't need to change the original filename.rules.conf for
incoming email, just outbound, I'm assuming.

Dustin