uvscan does not go away

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Sep 28 18:18:57 IST 2004

At 17:18 28/09/2004, you wrote:
>On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Denis Beauchemin wrote:
> > Kai Wang wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I found recently that there are some McAfee uvscan process chewing the
> > > mail
> > > server cpu. MailScanner was the one that started the process. The
> > > directory,
> > > which MailScanner started the process, disappeared already. But the
> > > uvscan
> > > process just does not go.
> > >

> > Kai,
> >
> > It usually happens when I reload MS while MS is virus scanning some
> > email.  The uvscan just stays there and consumes CPU.
> >
> > I call the included script in root's crontab:
> > 0-59/5 * * * * /usr/local/bin/killOldUvscan
>
>We, too, see these CPU-gobbling uvscan processes after MS reload/restart.
>But the suggested crontab method of handling feels less than ideal.
>
>Anyone have any thoughts as to how we might address this more cleanly?
>(Can we persuade MS to signal any uvscan children, etc.?)

Please try the attached patches for /usr/sbin/MailScanner and
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/SweepViruses.pm.

Note that 1 hunk of the SweepViruses.pm patch may fail to apply due to a
version number mismatch (I don't know what version of this file you have,
and the patch overlaps the version number). However, take a look at the
patch and you will find it is trivial to apply by hand.

Please let me know if this works or if it causes more trouble than it solves.

    [ Part 2, Application/OCTET-STREAM (Name: "MailScanner.patch")  ]
    [ 918bytes. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]

    [ Part 3, Application/OCTET-STREAM (Name: "SweepViruses.pm.patch")  ]
    [ 1.7KB. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]

    [ Part 4: "Attached Text" ]

--