Allowing specific executable files

Dustin Baer dustin.baer at IHS.COM
Mon Sep 27 21:07:57 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Renata D. Vieira wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I configured MailScanner in my server to deny all the executable files.
>However, there are 2 specific executable files those are send and received
>between our client and us.
>My question is: Is it possible in MailScanner to allow only these 2 specific
>executable files and to continue denying all the others?

Hi Renata,

It depends on if they are being blocked by the filename.rules.conf file
or the filetype.rules.conf file.

I'll give the example for filetype.rules.conf and you can apply it to
the other if needed:

1.  Create a copy of filetype.rules.conf and rename it to something like
filetype.rules.allow.conf.  In that file, comment the "deny executable" line

2.  In MailScanner.conf, create a ruleset for "Filetype Rules =", e.g.:

    Filetype Rules = %rules-dir%/Filetype.rules

3.  In %rules-dir%/Filetype.rules, point the From address of the people
who need to send the executables to the filetype.rules.allow.conf file
and point FromOrTo: default to the original filetype.rules.conf

Just be aware that if they are infected with a new, undefined virus, you
won't be able to stop it from them.

See also the thread "Double filename/extension query" from September
21.  Same question answered there.
Dustin