Running Mailscanner in a correct configuration

BB brent.bolin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 20:01:27 IST 2004

Trying to setup mailscanner and mailwatch in a correct configuration.
Would like to see reports for both spam and virus alerts.

Previously I was only able to setup av using it as a sendmail+milter .
Also previously used Vexira.  Trying to do this now with AntiVir
since its in the FreeBSD ports tree.  Its basically the same product.

I can configure mailscanner with this option in the config file -

Virus Scanners = antivir

Can start mailscanner with no errors shown in /var/log/maillog

Modified f-prot line in fuctions.php to antivir so mailwatch wouldn't complain.

I have hundreds of infected files from the vexira install at work.
Scp these to the

mailscanner/mailwatch system I'm trying to setup.  Mailscanner never
picks up infected files.

I can run antivir from the command line and it works fine.

/tmp/tmp/df-63198-5B08CC27
 Date: 23.08.2004  Time: 09:52:45  Size: 24865
 ALERT: [Worm/Netsky.D.Dam worm] /tmp/tmp/df-63198-5B08CC27 -->
my_details.pif <<< Contains signature of the worm Worm/Netsky.D.Dam

Here is the configuration  virus.scanners.conf -

antivir         /usr/local/libexec/MailScanner/antivir-wrapper
/usr/local/AntiVir

I can run the wrapper script from the command line -

/usr/local/libexec/MailScanner/antivir-wrapper /usr/local/AntiVir /tmp/tmp/*

It does pick some up, but no where near when I run it something like this -

/usr/local/AntiVir/antivir /tmp/tmp/*
or
/usr/local/AntiVir/antivir --scan-in-mbox /tmp/tmp/*

Here is the directory that antivir is in -

/usr/local/AntiVir/antivir

These are the default install directories on FreeBSD.

Help, what am I missing ?