bayes.lock and bayes_toks.expire files piling up

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Sat Sep 25 22:04:10 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Mike Kercher wrote:
>>http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/303.html
>>http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/317.html
>
> Thanks for the info.  Are these steps still necessary when my
> MailScanner.conf says to Rebuild Bayes Every = 86400 ?

As I have noted at the end of one of the FAQ entries MS can now do this
for you by setting Rebuild Bayes Every but many, including myself, still
run the expire from cron. The most important thing is to set
bayes_auto_expire to 0 (uncomment it in spam.assassin.prefs.conf),
otherwise the two methods will compete and cause trouble for you. MS
method for autoexpiry is simply broken and must be disabled. Maybe they
have fixed it for 3.0.0 but I wouldn't take any chances.

Since I set up my systems according to the FAQ I haven't had a single
expire or lock file in nine months.

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun