Problem with IPBlock

Derek Winkler dwinkler at ALGORITHMICS.COM
Fri Sep 24 21:49:07 IST 2004

I'd like to be able to use IPBlock but it won't open my sendmail access
file.

I've created a new blank database using:

makemap hash /etc/mail/access-ipblock < /etc/mail/access-ipblock

it creates the /etc/mail/access-ipblock.db file. I wanted to use a seperate
access file for it to test initially. By moving this file to anther system,
I can get:

# file access-ipblock.db
access-ipblock.db: Berkeley DB (Hash, version 5, big-endian)

The IPBlock DB returns:

# file IPBlock.db
IPBlock.db: Berkeley DB 1.85 (Hash, version 2, big-endian)

I made the modifications as mentioned in CustomConfig.pm, here's the
relevant section:

# You may need to configure these for your site:
my $WhitelistFile= '/opt/MailScanner/etc/IPBlock.conf';
my $LockFile     = '/var/spool/MailScanner/IPBlock.lock';
my $LogFile      = '/var/spool/MailScanner/IPBlock.log';
my $BlockDB      = '/var/spool/MailScanner/IPBlock.db';
my $AccessDB     = '/etc/mail/access-ipblock.db';
my $Refusal      = '"550 Site blocked due to excessive email"';
my $DefaultMaxMessagesPerHour = 1000; # 999999999

and created the IPBlock.conf file in /opt/MailScanner/etc.

I get these messages in the log:

Sep 24 16:02:32 lime MailScanner[4164]: IPBlock: Could not open access
database /etc/mail/access-ipblock.db

Even when running the maintenance script, I get:

# ./IPBlock-cleanup.pl
Failed to open /etc/mail/access-ipblock.db, have you got the path wrong?
Invalid argument, Illegal seek at ./IPBlock-cleanup.pl line 144.
#

I'm running MailScanner 4.32.5 and Sendmail 8.11.7p1+Sun/8.11.7.

Here's some sendmail information:

# /usr/lib/sendmail -bt -d0.10
Version 8.11.7p1+Sun
 Compiled with: LDAPMAP MAP_REGEX LOG MATCHGECOS MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7
                NAMED_BIND NDBM NETINET NETINET6 NETUNIX NEWDB NIS NISPLUS
                QUEUE SCANF SMTP USERDB XDEBUG
    OS Defines: HASFCHOWN HASFCHMOD HASGETUSERSHELL HASINITGROUPS
                HASLSTAT HASRANDOM HASSETREUID HASSETRLIMIT HASSETSID
                HASSETVBUF HASSNPRINTF HASSTRERROR HASULIMIT HASUNAME
                HASWAITPID IDENTPROTO IP_SRCROUTE SAFENFSPATHCONF
SYS5SETPGRP
                SYSTEM5 USE_SA_SIGACTION USE_SIGLONGJMP USESETEUID

Is my sendmail just too old? Should I be upgrading some perl modules?

Thanks,

Derek

---

proprietary to Algorithmics Incorporated and its affiliates
("Algorithmics").  If received in error, use is prohibited.  Please destroy,
and notify sender.  Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege.
Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or
virus-free.  Algorithmics does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions.  Any commitment intended to bind Algorithmics must be reduced to
writing and signed by an authorized signatory.